Friday, April 30, 2010

God's Love Demonstrated

God’s love illuminated in the Cassamance Region today as we ministered in Boukiling Diolo and Buono. Our first stop was Boukiling Diolo to update Dianke’s parents of her progress. They were pleased to hear how well she is doing. In Senegal, it is a blessing to receive a Manjacku name from the Manjack people. Dianke’s parents asked us to give their new baby girl an American name. Their request was to name the baby after one of our team members. So, today in the village Boukiling Diolo there is a baby with an American namesake of Gwen. It was such a sweet, sweet time and our Gwen was tremendously blessed. Pastor Roger had the great privilege of praying blessings over the new baby and her parents. Our prayer was that someday she would come to know Jesus. Boukiling Diola is a very diverse village with many people groups such as Diola, Balanta, Manjack, and Mandika. There was a gentleman (“just so happened” to be Manjack) questioning why we came to his village. He went to Joseph and Claude and wanted to know the difference between Catholicism, Islam, and our team. He asked what he should do to become a Christian. He said that he used to be Catholic then his family became Muslim and had to follow his parent’s religion. As the opportunity was given he asked us how to better understand our ways. They explained that we were followers of Jesus. The things we do here are not to make us better, but that Jesus loved us enough to allow us to come and tell us about him. Joseph asked Jefferson to join the conversation. Joseph began telling him that we didn’t come here to gain anything from the people, the village or Dianke’s people. Many times Muslim leaders will ask for a gift when they come to pray with the Muslim people. Jefferson explained that we have been given the gift of eternal life. He began talking to him about who Jesus is and how he came to pay the price of sin. Sin is death and the eternal separation from God forever. He listened to everything that was said and stated he couldn’t make a decision today but he wanted to learn more. How great is our God that he is so willing to open up yet another door!

Our next stop was in Buono where we were welcomed by Famalang and Tening’s family and friends. Pastor N’gor read the prayer and blessing Mark Daugherty had written over their new baby, who was named after Mark. The family was very appreciative of the words spoken over the baby. We had a wonderful time of laughter, singing, and dancing! God provided a way for us to separate the children from some of the teenagers and adults. Pastor N’gor, Lynnsey and I began handing out suckers (they are a life saver ) to the children. We brought them under a shade tree where we began teaching them an action song that we sang over and over and over. Cindy wanted to present something to Famalang’s mother to honor her. Cindy had asked Gwen if she had anything we could give her. Gwen had on a bracelet containing colored stones that “just so happened” to be some of the colors of the salvation bracelet. God gave Cindy the knowledge to begin showing the different colors of the bracelet and was able to explain what each color meant. The adults and some of the young adults were very attentive as Cindy presented the Gospel. It wasn’t until our debriefing time that Pastor N’gor, Lynnsey and I learned what happened with the adults that afternoon while we were ministering to the children. I was overwhelmed to hear what was going on while we were singing the following words with the children: “my God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do.”

There are two words that continue to be spoken as we have started this journey with God. Those two words are Christ’s love. His love was so freely given today in both villages. We were told by one of our translators that the people are open. They are cautious, but they are open to what God wants to say and do through us. Hallelujah! We are here to be a light-His light.

I will leave you with the following scripture passage. Most of us have heard or read this scripture many times before. However, I would like for you to read it with a different perspective today.

“And now I will show you the most excellent way. If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoice with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 12:30-13:1-8

1 comment:

  1. Hallelujiah! I am so thankful for the many blessings pouring forth from our Great Father through you all. I love you guys, and so wish I was with you. Blessings, hugs, strength, rest, Spirit filled words and actions and a peace in the Lord. Kindra

    ReplyDelete