Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day of Testimonies

For almost three years now we have prayed that God would somehow bring together the believing women and allow us to have some intimate conversation with them. HE has heard our prayers and delivered in an AWESOME way!!!

When the Pastoral team came we had no idea that God was going to open the way for Pastors Sam and Roger to have a Leadership training for the men. We were so excited when that came about. Then, after we went to the Mandyak church in Djalanding-koto, I simply asked if there was some of the women that would like to come and visit with Pam and me. I had NO idea the blessing that was about to befall us.

As always, I had not planned anything and didn’t know what to expect. That is exactly how HE wants it so that He could accomplish His teaching plan and bring Him glory and honor. We had 8 women from 4-5 different villages…all miles away from each other. This is the first time that they had all been able to meet together. “M” said she had “seen this ( women’s conference) in Guinea Bissau but not here”. How neat is that, that God would allow US to be part of the first “women’s conference” in the Casamance!?!

Pam and I had prayed that somehow God would place a supernatural trust between these women and us. He heard our cries! Five of the eight women shared their personal testimonies and how they came to know Christ. I wished somehow we could have recorded them so that each one of you could hear. Words will not suffice but I would like to try to convey “M’s” testimony. “M” is the sister in law of our person of peace in the “KM” village. She became a follower of Jesus Christ in Jan of 2000. She had one son and he died in Feb of 2000. Her family, as well as, her husband’s family, blame the death of the child on the fact that she became a Christian. They instructed her to go to the witch doctor to make a covenant. Joseph explained that this is the Manjacku priest at the shrine who is considered to hold the most spiritual power. A blood sacrifice is then made by the individual and then the person speaks his or her desires to the priest. “M” refused to go. Both families then said if she would not denounce Christ they would place curses on her. She still refused so the families then placed the curses. She explained that this is a ceremony that consist of actually breaking a large type bowl and when the bowl is crushed or broken the entire family then speaks the curses upon her life. She continued to tell of multiple times that she was beaten or even held at gun point w/her life threatened if she would not denounce Christ. She continued to refuse and had even taken “her luggage” to her pastor for him to keep. When her husband found that her luggage was gone she received another beating. At this point she said her husband told her he was going to take another wife. She said, “I told him to go ahead, I don’t care if you take ten more wives, I am going to follow Jesus Christ”!

You could have heard a pin drop! She then asked permission to share a scripture. Of course we welcomed that. She asked us to turn to James 1:2 and read “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance”. She went on to explain that she has never had any formal education and had never been taught to read. She had a deep desire to be able to read and learn God’s word and had expressed that to God. After that she began having dreams of “children writing on the chalk board and that is how I learned to read the scripture. So now, when I face these challenges I think of this scripture”!!

She continued to explain that she had another miscarriage and has been barren for 9 years. Her family continues to blame that on her being a Christian. She asked that we would pray over that situation.

I cannot describe the emotions that flooded my soul!!! But at the same time, a deep conviction came over me to ask, “Why do we as Americans not access that same power and authority of our Lord Jesus in our everyday lives”!?!

We then were able to go to Ephesians 6 and read the passage of how we equip ourselves with the full armor of God. We went through each piece of armor and identified practical ways we could apply this as women, for our families and our own personal lives. We ended on Esther who was chosen by God, as a woman, to save his entire “people group”. We discussed how Esther came from such humble means and was an orphan (thank-you Beth Moore!). Yet when God assigned her this task she prepared herself spiritually by prayer and fasting and then said “if I perish, I perish”!

Well…what is left to say!?! Tears flow as I even try to type. God is so faithful and will manifest His power only if we allow him. I want to be more like these women!!!

The team arrived right as we were ending our meal so they were able to meet everyone there at the church. Pastor Roger and Sam began their session around 5:00 and the team was then able to go to the river house and get settled in. NeNe had a wonderful meal prepared as always. This was just what the team needed before going to bed for a good night’s rest. After almost 28 hours of rough travel tails were draggin and a few were feeling a little queasy.

Today, we will be prayer walking the schools at Bamacounda and Kounayan-Mancagne. A few of us hope to be able to go to Sansamaba around noon to visit Bobo. Pastors Roger and Sam will be holding the remaining sessions of the Leadership conference. Please continue to bathe that in much prayer. God is beginning to raise up a mighty army and we have been extended the privilege of being a part of it!!...how I am in awe of that!!! Thank-you, Jesus.

The team is feeling much better this morning. Please pray for continued strength and refreshment as we prepare for the upcoming week. Our internet access is very limited so we apologize for no calls and few pictures. To our families…we miss and love you very much. Halie girl, I love your new school picture!

Praise Him for His faithfulness,

Cindy

“Perseverance must finish its work- so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything”. James 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment