Friday, April 10, 2009

African "complexion soap"

Harvest and "roasting" cashews


What delicious cashew fruit!


My dear friends at Bamacounda!

Our visit with Immanuel Mendy could not have gone better. There is an obvious joy on his face! He continues to have Bible study with Sebastian every Thursday in the school for the youth. The Lord gave me the opportunity to discuss water baptism with him. I explained that we believe the scriptures are very clear in that baptism is not what saves you. But, it is the first step of obedience to publicly be identified with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. When I asked him if he had any thoughts, comments, or questions on what I just explained, he replied “when I made my decision to follow Jesus I will never go back.” “I want to be baptized.” Needless to say I sent some hallelujah balloons up …but have to save a few because I want them to fill the sky Sunday. I am praying that there is some way I can get pictures to Scott so maybe he could post them for people to see Sunday.

After we finished that conversation I got my first lesson on the cashew nut and how it is harvested. I know I’m showing my ignorance here but I never knew it was part of a fruit. It’s kinda like the stem of the fruit and then they have to burn the “stems” and crack them open to then get the nut. Just amazing!!! (Mark and Sam, I can see you shaking your head at me as I type!...grinning! Being the great hosts as they are, we had to experience the entire process. That was fun, and as usual Joseph was the first to join in on all the delicious activities! So the cashew fruit is great for juice, wine, nuts, and to feed the animals the left over portions.

We then left Immanuel’s house and walked down the road to visit Moussa Sadee. He was so glad to see us and sends his greetings to all, esp Tommy. He was one of Tommy’s first students in Bamacounda and was instrumental in inviting Mr. Mendy. Once again, I encouraged him to continue faithfully in his studies.

While we were there I received another lesson in making soap from “bad peanuts” and some white crystal stuff they get at the market. They have to grind up all the peanuts and make a mixture that they boil and then they roll the finished product into balls and set them out to dry. Hopefully, I can post a picture. It didn’t quite have the aroma of Bath N Body products, but close…grinning. Harmony and Kaysha, guess what you’re getting for Christmas this year!?!...teehee!

After finishing our visit with Moussa Saddee it was time to pay our visit to the chief. Before I could even get out of the truck the children all came yelling “Nabi Bniane” (my Manjacku name) and giving the biggest hugs!!! I even got a hug from the chief!!! I don’t’ think I will ever get used to their gracious hospitality and expressions of gratefulness. The chief immediately began to tell me how much better he felt and how strong he was now since the team came. This was just the first of MANY testimonies he had regarding the positive impact our team had made on the community. He also was to know where Maluti (Gwen) was, and of course, Baucas (Sam). He also stated that all the children that Dr Mike worked on brought “peace to their families”! When I asked if we had his permission to return in Nov and Jan he expressed he wants us there everyday!

I also found out another reason that we have such favor. The chief at Bamacounda began to explain to me that his wife’s brother is Tenne Sundae’s (mother is lost the baby) husband’s father! Imagine that!! I’m explaining that just to emphasize how the extended family is spread out here and we just do not realized the effects that we are having. We must continue to be hfaithful in our efforts for the advancement of HIS kingdom!

Well my last lesson for the day was learning the many ways to say “yes”. Here goes…
Yo (Mandyak), Wow (Wolof), Wee (French), Ha (Mandinka), Ee (Sereer), Ci (Spanish), and Ya (Ozark slang) and Yes (English). So I guess now I can say that I speak 8 languages! Whew…that wears me out!

Today we are going to see Mr Bauje and visit Kouniya-Mancagne. This afternoon, Pastor N’gor’s church is preparing a special dish out of sugar, peanut, and millet to feed to the surrounding community because of Good Friday. It will be a “unique” and wonderful experience to be here for their Easter celebration. I also can’t wait to have the first African Easter egg hunt!

I feel all the prayers and I wish I could just bottle up all the experiences and bring them home for everyone to share in!

Special hugs and kisses to my family. Galen, I’m praying for you daily to gain strength and stamina. Love to all,
Cindy

“I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you,the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.” Eph 1:18-19

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:41 PM

    Our God is awesome!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Happy Resurrection Day Cindy!

    Love ya!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete