Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The road is long, but the rewards many...

Last night, after walking through the village sharing Dum Dum suckers with the children and having a worshipful time of discussion and prayer, we enjoyed a night’s rest in the “Gates of Hell” as is the translation of “Kaolack”. Today, Tuesday, we traveled the long, dusty, crevice filled road to Sedhiou. Praise God, we did not have any trouble at border crossing, and made it through without difficulties. All along the road, as we travelled, children passing smiled, waving, and curiously examining the toubabs (white folks), wondering anxiously if we had anything to share with them. When we stopped, their questioning eyes looked closely into the tinted windows of the van to see our faces and to play “handsie” through the windows. Needless to say, Moussa needs to wash the windows…sorry Mousssa!

For many of us, it was the first trip on the ferry across the Gambia River. While it is a quick trip across, it is beautiful in its own right, where the whitecaps of the rough river meet the shores of trees and sparseness. The wait was easy, as our timing was good, and we drove right on to the boat. Unfortunately, this also meant that we would leave Charlie Brown and John Baptiste’ on the wrong side of the Gambia… bad news. Although they thought they would have time to grab some grub, they were mistaken…and we left them. The rest of the team was patient, albeit slightly frustrated for the delay, and lingered on the other side for the next ferry to return with our lost interpreters. “It just so happened” that during the time we were waiting, we had the privilege of bumping into a physician and dentist that we knew from previous trips to Sedhiou, and were able to share greetings with them from America. Soon enough, we were back on the bumpy road for the remaining hours of our trip.

We arrived at the clinic site in Bamacounda, greeted by many men, women, and children alike. The clinic, while smaller than that in Sansamba, is well sheltered and has just room enough. We assigned rooms for Dr. Ray, Dr. Mike, the pharmacy, the triage/intake area, and most importantly the prayer room. The team is just so wonderful (I know that I am partial)! We had the baggage unloaded, the furniture rearranged, the pharmacy organized, and everything in its place for tomorrow in the blink of an eye. We pray that tomorrow God will once again bless us with organization and effective teamwork! Dr. Ray and Jeania will man the exam rooms, Dr. Mike, Gwen and Rose will man the dental rooms, I will coordinate the triage areas, Gary and Sara will hold down the fort in the pharmacy, Ryan our prayer warrior, Larry will be our personal bouncer, and Cindy coordinating us all and putting out fires where necessary.
The team returned to Sedhiou to unload, unwind, and “refuel.”

After getting situated at both the hotel and the river house, we held our debriefing and shared a bountiful meal prepared by Ne’ne’ of rice, vegetables, and meat. The common bowl was the place to be! (Although we wimpy Americans all used spoons) The team retreated shortly after the meal to the hotel for a refreshing shower and rejuvenating sleep. (Jane- Sara is comfortable in her locked room at the hotel, rooming with Rose, and with the rest of the team, close to her daddy and attached to Gwen and Mike’s room with a pass through door. Peace be with you, my sisterJ) Cindy and I are camping out at the river house to keep the African’s moving in the morning, as we will get started at 7am at the hotel with worship and devotional, with hopes to be at the clinic for patients by 8am.

Please continue to be in prayer for the team’s health and safety; for the organization and coordination of our first clinic day tomorrow, that we will care for people’s health needs to the best of our ability, while remembering during the hustle and bustle of our day that we not forget who we are representing, our Father in Heaven; for the love of Christ to be planted in the hearts of those we touch, as well as those we cannot; for peace within the team to avoid frustrations and feelings of helplessness that we cannot do enough; that we give God all the glory in all that we say and do. To our precious family, friends, and supporters, we love you all and miss you very much. Thank you for everything, we feel you with us.

Until tomorrow… a prayer for hope (although the power is out and it may be tomorrow before you read this)…

Lamentations 3:22-24 (NLT) The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I said to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore I will hope in Him!”

5 comments:

  1. It is great to hear from you all!
    Sounds like things went smoothly at setup! PTL
    The news of Sara being near her daddy (in a locked room) meant more to her sister than me! She had been burdened by the thought of Sara not being with her dad but I never knew...but God did. Thank you God for answering Emily's prayers. You are an awesome God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates especially about my sweet neice, Sara! We are praying for all of you.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeania: I am missing you! I am praying for you and your team members every day. (The c-arm misses you too. It was broken until yesterday! Ha.) See you soon girl!

    * For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.
    I Corinthians 9:19

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Hey daddy and sara. I love you and miss you guys. help lots of people and be safe ;)love yall!!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Hey this is kendra! i love you so much.
    I miss you so much. I am trying not to worry.
    I have alot to tell you and it would be great if you were here! I cold really use my best friend! Especially right now! Everyone at church says hi. I love you so much. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete