Thursday, January 15, 2009

Abundant blessings through many smiles and many tears

As I ponder how to possibly summarize today, I am prayerful that I can give you the eyes to see the many faces of Christ that the team experienced today. Our first clinic day in Bamacounda started before sunrise, as the team arose to prepare for a time of praise and worship before our journey. While the girls rallied the African’s to move it at the river house, the team waited patiently (a necessary virtue here in West Africa) for us to arrive. We shared a few wonderful moments gathered together amidst the palm trees and thatch roof huts near the Casamance River, led by Pastor Ryan, where he shared the scripture for the day. Romans 9:17 tells us of a story where God used Pharaoh explaining, “I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying my power in you and to spread my fame throughout the earth.” In the words of Pastor Ryan, “if our Lord can use even a pagan king to show His power and glory, then so too, will He use us in His Kingdom today.”

Our arrival at Bamacounda this morning was greeted with ready, eager faces. Though the lot was not as packed as we expected, it was not long before it became so, and there was no shortage of patients for us to care for today. With everyone at their posts standing ready, we greeted our first patients around 8:30am. Our new ticketing system worked well, although not without some input from the locals. Everyone was seen in orderly fashion, there was no unrest within the crowd and everyone was very patient. Dr. Ray and the medical team came together to treat almost 80 patients. We encountered many conditions, men and women of all ages, but fewer children. Of course, due to the extent of laborious efforts of people in this culture, there were many aches and joint pains from head to toe. We treated a number of patients with heartburn and constipation, bronchitis, pneumonia and tuberculosis, headaches and hypertension, a few wounds and burns, thyroid conditions, STD’s including HIV, hernias, visual disturbances and a handful of others. Dr. Mike also kept his dental team hoppin’ today, seeing 23 patients for a grand total of 40 extraced teeth…yikes! Each patient received blessings in prayer, with the hope that a seed would be planted in their hearts for Jesus.

There were many wonderful events of the day. Children laughing and playing all around, mischievously peeking through the clinic windows to get a glimpse inside (or a candy from Jeania); gentle conversations of God’s love and mercy shared with those who had ready hearts and listening ears; a kind touch, a hug, a smile when one was least expected; a gentle whisper from our Father reminding us why we are here. The day was also very sad, for which we request much prayer. We saw an infant today, 10 months old, who arrived at the clinic with her parents after coming miles on foot (later we would realize 30 minutes by car) in severe respiratory distress. Although we did everything we could at the clinic, and escorted the family to the local hospital for intensive care, this precious child went home to be with our Lord this afternoon. There was much grief amongst the team, although we forged on His path caring for those who had also sought His comfort through us. Cindy remained with the family for a time, and helped them travel back to their home; she was able to offer some words of the endless love of our Savior, and a gentle reminder that He has not forsaken them. May it be your prayer this day that the actions and words of this team may bring comfort and shine a light of hope in this family’s greatest darkness. May they be blessed by the spirit to have eyes that they may see the darkness and accept His endless mercies, which are new everyday. Let this also be a reminder that we are commanded to go and share the gospel of Jesus Christ in all the nations, so that all may hear. If we do not tell them, they will never know; if we do not go, there will be no one to tell them. Let us be steadfast in the mission, the command, of our Lord.

The team shared an amazing time of fellowship tonight, and while I cannot fathom how to paint a picture of the multitude of emotions that are experienced in these times, I asked the team to each share a thought with you. I did paraphrase a bit here and there, but you will be blessed by their comments, none the less. Forgive the long post for today (I will share in the order they were given, and for length sake will stick to the immediate American team), but I feel led to share so that maybe your heart will be touched and encouraged by the gifts of the Spirit.

Pastor Ryan: “I had the front door perspective on the masses, and received so many blessings today. I was most touched by an evangelism event that took most of the team over much of the day. The guard, a policeman intended to manage the crowd, was conversing with us throughout the day. Soon, Larry and I had developed a trust with him, and not long after, we were able to share with him some New Testament passages from the Bible. He was able to speak French, and voiced his understanding. Later, Pastor N’gom and another member of his church continued our evangelistic efforts. The rest of the team cared for him medically, as well, but most importantly his eyes and heart began to be opened to the truth, the true, eternal healing offered to him through Jesus Christ.”

Sara: “It was cool to be able to help all of the people that were sick and hurting. Even though the process makes you very tired, I was proud and glad to be a part of it.”

Dr. Mike: “I knew coming back would be difficult work, but at the end of the day you catch your breath and look back to see many special moments that easily remind you why you are here.”

Cindy: God's grace brought more than enough comfort today. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Larry: “Our work in the flesh does not last long, but we do for Him lasts forever. Humor and love can bridge the language gaps; if they see in your face and through your actions that you love them, they will pay notice to that—it means more than any words that you can say.”

Dr. Ray: “I am humbled when we come here; to see the mass of people as we drive through Dakar, the villages- thousands at a glance. How small our corner of the world is compared to the expanse of people here that do not know Him…God has a purpose for everyone’s life, even those in the dust of the city. It also humbles me to consider that I am here serving for only a week, yet my mentors Dr. Steele and Dr. Soh have dedicated their life to this work. It motivates me to consider I can do more.”

Rose: “I was praying this morning that God would show Himself to me in a new way today. While we were caring for a child in the dental office today, so scared and crying, I continued to pray for Him to help us treat her easily, and we were able to by His grace. I saw Him today in that moment.”

Jeania: “It is all so good- smiling, hugging, touching, loving, developing a trust with them. As I think back to previous conversations…wouldn’t it be great if we came back in January and saw Rosa walking, and she was! (Rosa was severely burned when her skirt caught fire while trying to stay warm by the family’s fire pit. Her wounds are healing nicely, and she is able to walk without assistance now- Praise God!) It is great to see the love that God gives through each of us.”

Gwen: “Although I have not worked with Mike in the dental office before, I was very blessed to be able to share that experience with such a good team today.”

Gary: “Today reaffirmed for me that God is in control. First, the medications were found! Halleluiah! (We were missing a large bag of medications last night, many very important, and felt concerned that they were permanently gone.) Also, I am so blessed to see my daughter becoming a young woman; she has impressed me in innumerable ways.” – A beautiful picture of a father and daughter serving their Lord obediently together.

As for myself, I hope that you have sensed my love for this place, for these people, and especially that the heart that I have for the children pour out to you here. I am immensely blessed to be a member on this team, and privileged to learn and experience from each and every one of its members, African and American. As Cindy says, here we are the true “African American’s.”

I know that I have kept you long today. You know the prayers that we seek daily, and I trust that you will constantly lift them up to our most high God. Until tomorrow…

Psalm 113 (NLT) Praise the Lord! Yes, give praise, O servants of the Lord. Praise the name of the Lord! Blessed be the name of the Lord now and forever. Everywhere, from the east to the west, praise the name of the Lord. For the Lord is high above the nations; his glory is higher than the heavens. Who can be compared with the Lord our God, who is enthroned on high? He stoops to look down upon heaven and on earth. He lifts the poor from the dust and the needy from the garbage dump. He sets them among princes, even the princes of his own people! He gives the childless woman a family, making her a happy mother. Praise the Lord!

3 comments:

  1. Kindra,
    Keep long and keep them coming! I feel like I am there right with you sharing in your joys and your frustrations! Thank you for sharing and don't ever apologize for the length (unless it is short!) I am so VERY PROUD of each of you! We miss you and are praying for you minute-ly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:12 PM

    Hey daddy and sara,
    We love you lots. And it sounds like it is going good over there. cant wail to see you guys again...maybe you will be really tan sista. Help many more people guys. Love you
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:27 PM

    Hi mom! Its Allie! Its good to hear that everyone is doing good. God is really blessing you...I can tell! Have fun!!! :P

    ReplyDelete