Initially Monday morning we had been informed that Penda’s family was not going to be able to come with the sick infant, only to be later informed that they were on their way to see us. In anticipation we had brought a blottle, formula, and infant mulitvitamins...so we anxiously waited for their arrival.
After our teaching session I was making my way from the church to Penda’s house to speak with an elder. As I made my way down the dirt path came upon an older women carrying a infant child, accompanied by a young man pushing a bicycle. This was Penda’s aunt with “Baby Vincent”. He was wrapped in layers of clothe while the scorching sun zapped what little life he had left. His weak, persistent cry instantly communicated his physical frailty. Knowing I had little time to spare I sent them immediately down to the church knowing the girls would instantly tend the the baby’s pressing needs.
We later found out that the grandmother, uncle, and baby had traveled on bicycle for miles (a drive that later took us 1 ½- 2 hrs to take them home and even then the road (path) conditions kept us from taking them the final 2 miles to their village). Ronda stated that this reminded her of the persistent widow or the woman with the issue of blood in the scriptures. It was as though the grandmother believed if she could just get the baby to the “American Drs”, they might be able to save him.
As the ladies eagerly unwrapped the linens they found a 2 month old baby boy who couldn’t weigh more than 4-5 pounds. The formula couldn’t be prepared fast enough! As he sucked the bottle dry it was as if he knew it was his “life-line”. After a lot of tender loving care, oohing and aghing, he fell fast asleep snuggled in Ronda’s arms. I have to say she was a little selfish with him but I forgave her. ;)
While he slept we then turned our focus to the grandmother who had been watching from a distance. Her head hung from the weariness within and the seemingly hopeless circumstances without. Not only had this woman buried her 18 year old daughter, but now she faced the pressing reality of losing her grandson as well. Her face mirrored the grief she felt within! As we embraced her and began to pray tears gently began to flow down her face. Those tears were able to cross any communication barriers that lie between us. Words were empty...only the comfort of HIS Spirit could make a difference in a time like this.
After a time of prayer and comforting, we all loaded into to the van. With the bicycle on top, we proceeded to take them home to their village. As previously stated we weren’t able to take them all the way to their village because of the treacherous road conditions. All of our hearts melted at the thought of them having to walk that winding path back into the bush with the sun blazing down. Again, Ronda was able to pen to paper and describe the image that was seared on each of our hearts...an image we will never forget!
“We helped her (the grandmother) down from the van, while the uncle tied the formula onto the back of the bicycle. Then, with great reluctance we placed the now contented, sleeping baby into the grandmother’s arms. As she gracefully took him she reached to her tattered scarf and pulled it over her head in attempt to shade the heat of the sun. Our hearts ached and tears flowed as we had to turn and drive away. The silence was painful...we all felt so helpless! The only comfort in times like these is knowing the our God...the same God that brought her to us...is the God who can sustain her! He will not waste any open door that has potential to being HIM great glory!!!!”
Even as I write these words I sense in my spirit that God isn’t finished writing Baby Vincent’s story. I don’t know what it will entail but I sense it will magnify HIS matchless grace, mercy, and love.
Thank-you Father that you are Jehovah-Jirah, our provider!
All for Your glory and honor,
Cindy
“Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.” Psalm 46:10-11

No comments:
Post a Comment